Confused with folder structures for themes ad templates

Please LogIn to Reply!

Post By: admin | 26-01-2012 06:35 Reply

Hi,

I am somewhat confused with the structure of folders in regard to themes and templates. I am currently using what I believe to be the default template. I have been browsing the forums and I often come across comments like:

"go to app/design/frontend/default/YOURTHEME/layout/catalog.xml”

Presumably I have to go to "app/design/frontend/default/DEFAULT/layout/catalog.xml"??

Except when I browse to, for example, the layout folder - no file exists. I have experienced this on numerous occasions when installing and researching installation of themes and extensions.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks

If you want to modify a theme file, first copy it from the default directory to your theme directory. For example, if you want to modify page.xml, then copy it from default/default/layout/page.xml to default/YOURTHEME/layout/page.xml. Any changes you make in this file will superseed the default page.xml (providing you set Magento to use your theme in the admin area).

Signature 

About
Flowstack is an E-commerce retail manager & Magento developer with over 10 years experience running online stores. Services include Magento training, custom extensions, killers designs, search marketing advice and conversion optimization.

Showcase
Gardeners’ Heaven
What’s cool: Custom design, product sliders, product callouts, multi-column layout, banner management system, subcategory display blocks.

`Reply Or Comment!