Question on Dynamic Pricing of Products

Please LogIn to Reply!

Post By: admin | 26-01-2012 06:35 Reply

Hi All,

Am building an e-commerce based website for a printing company. unlike normal printing companies, we do a lot of custom work and print stuff like books, magazines, catalog and booklets.

But now am stuck with an issue like below.

Scenario:

Assume that a user visits our website looking to print 100 books in A4 size with 40 pages in each book and printed on both sides..

So i thought, i could accomplish it using configurable product. I created a couple of attributes as below

TYPE OF STOCK (drop down): 70lb matte, 80lb matte, 100lb matte, 70lb gloss, 80lb gloss, 100lb gloss.. etc..etc…
SHEET SIZE (drop down) : 5.5 x 8.5 in, 8.5 X 11 in, A4, A5… etc...etc..
TYPE OF BINDING (drop down) : Stapled, Wire, Stitching.. etc..etc
TYPE OF PRINTING (drop down) : Single Side , Both the Sides.
Number of Pages (in each book) (drop down) : 1, 2,3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10........250

As far as my experience with magento goes, i need to create a Configurable product with each option (or possibility) as a simple product and associate it with the configurable product.

When i create these options as a simple product, i end with about 12000 simple products.

Am wondering if there is any other way i can accomplish this without having to create 12000 simple products.
Any ideas / help / suggestions / references to the extensions (if one exists already) will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Sri

`Reply Or Comment!